On board MS HANSEATIC from Belem to Iquitos
Expedition Amazon - On the river of a thousand wonders
The legends of the Amazon: where native peoples live hidden in the rainforest; where toucans, howler monkeys and cicadas add their voices to the wildlife chorus; and where the plants explode in a riot of colour. Behind every bend of the river, new facets of the evergreen jungle await you. Only a small expedition ship like the HANSEATIC and its Zodiacs will allow you to explore this paradise at close range. Travel deep into winding waterways for what could be the greatest adventure of your life.
from Belem to Iquitos
|Cruise dates:||from 08.04.2017 to 29.04.2017 (21 days)|
|Your ship:||MS HANSEATIC|
19 days cruise only from € 9,348 per person
incl. travel packages to / from departure / arrival point from € 11,193 per person
| Sat, 08.04.2017 |
Scheduled flight from Frankfurt to Sao Paulo to Belem
| Sun, 09.04.2017 |
Overnight stay with breakfast (mid-range hotel)
| Mon, 10.04.2017 |
| Tue, 11.04.2017 |
Day trip through the Breves Channels
In the midst of a mysterious world
| Wed, 12.04.2017 |
- Mon, 17.04.2017
Upstream on the Amazon with Zodiac landings (including Rio Pucurui, Guajara, Alter do Chao, Parintins, Canacari)
The small HANSEATIC is in its element in this labyrinthine network – the diverse shores close enough to touch: banana trees, cashew trees and a succession of small settlements of wooden buildings on stilts. Depending on the weather and currents, the Zodiacs will be lowered to the water again and again on this cruise to take you deep into the winding waterways on numerous rides and landings such as the Rio Pucurui, which is lined with buriti and acai palms. The colours of the toucans, yellow-headed caracaras and saffron finches sparkle in the lush green leaves – and these are just three of over 1,000 species of bird that will catch your eye in the Amazon. Alongside around 3,000 species of fish, the “kings” of the river are the mammals: with a little luck, pink dolphins will make an appearance when you reach Guajara. Is the legend true? Can they really transform into young men to entice away the girls? And how deep into the water must the mighty water buffalo wade to graze on the floating vegetation? Be it mythology or biology, the experts on board will have the answer. Wherever you turn, the jungle surprises with stories and impressions, as Alter do Chao will demonstrate: on the emerald-green Rio Tapajos, you will suddenly find yourself on an almost Caribbean beach. Unsurprisingly, bathing in the Amazon will be enjoyable and relaxing.
| Mon, 17.04.2017 |
- Tue, 18.04.2017
The city of Manaus is filled with very different contrasts. Modern glass facades sit alongside classical and art nouveau buildings on a tour of the city’s history and opera house*. An aerial tour above Manaus* highlights the coexistence of civilisation and nature in breathtaking fashion. The Meeting of the Waters can be seen as an allegory for this, where the “black” Rio Negro joins the clay-yellow Rio Solimoes; the two rivers do not mix immediately, but flow alongside each other for several kilometres.
| Wed, 19.04.2017 |
- Wed, 26.04.2017
Further upstream on the Amazon with Zodiac landings (including Badajos, Cuxiu Muni, Rio Jutai, Panelas, Leticia, Pevas)Further upstream on the Amazon with Zodiac landings (including Badajos, Cuxiu Muni, Rio Jutai, Panelas, Leticia, Pevas)
A beating green heart
| Thu, 27.04.2017 |
Iquitos/Peru, arrival 7.00 hrs
You will reach Iquitos with the moving sensation of having grown closer to this paradise world. And even if your expedition is drawing to a close after 4,000 km from the mouth of the Amazon to here, the thrill of the many moments you have experienced will never end.
| Fri, 28.04.2017 |
| Sat, 29.04.2017 |
Arrival in Frankfurt
* The shore activities are not included in the cruise price and are in the planning stage. Subject to changes.
A change in itinerary may become necessary on this expedition. The captain will decide on the best possible alternative depending on local conditions.
= at anchor
¹ Butler service included in categories 6 and 7
You will find more information, especially with regards to vaccination and visa requirements, in the General Information section.
The Cruise Price Includes
- Expedition in the booked category
- Full board on the ship (early bird breakfast, breakfast, late morning bouillon, lunch and dinner, afternoon coffee and tea with pastries, midnight snack)
- All landings or rides in the ship’s own Zodiacs or tenders (potential admission fees or guided tours by local tour guides not included)
- Experienced experts give lectures, provide in-depth answers to questions about the cruising area and accompany Zodiac landings
- Champagne awaits you in your cabin on your day of arrival
- Mini bar filled with soft drinks in the cabin (refilled daily)
- Flat screen, DVD player and Wi-Fi in every cabin. On the HANSEATIC, these also provide access to your private e-mail account as well as an integrated video-on-demand system
- Sending and receiving e-mails (without attachments) free of charge
- German ship, cruise and expedition management as well as a Germanand English-speaking service crew on board
- Comprehensive information about the cruise, service handbooks about the flora and fauna of the Amazon, the Arctic and Antarctica as well as expedition maps
- Information about the port or destination (when available) in the cabin in the form of pocket-size travel guides
- Depending on the destination, warm parkas and rubber boots as well as snorkelling equipment, Nordic Walking poles and bicycles are provided on loan on board both expedition ships (subject to availability)
- Free use of all on-board facilities (except services of the photo shop, hairdresser, massage, boutique, Internet)
- Harbour and airport fees
- Travel cancellation expenses insurance
- Bankruptcy insurance
Please note that our pre- and post-cruise programmes are conducted in German.
For individual programmes kindly consult your travel agent.
Following programmes we offer in German:
PRE-CRUISE PROGRAMME A: RIO DE JANEIRO – THE FUN-LOVING CITY
POST-CRUISE PROGRAMME A: MACHU PICCHU – IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF THE INCAS
A biology specialist in the team of experts
Biologist Claudia Roedel will fascinate you with her extensive experience in the Amazon region. An experienced expedition leader, she specialises in tropical ecology, has completed a survival training course in the jungle and knows all about the native tribes in the Amazon.