On board MS BREMEN from Lisbon to Sal
Expedition to Atlantic island worlds - Contrasting coastlines during a golden October
Madeira, the Canary Islands and Cape Verde – a trio of locations with which the BREMEN will extend your summer. Bizarre volcanic landscapes and fertile valleys, picturesque villages and endless beaches. Discover facets of the islands on diverse excursions and your own explorations.
from Lisbon to Sal
|Cruise dates:||from 24.10.2016 to 06.11.2016 (13 days)|
|Your ship:||MS BREMEN|
12 days cruise only from € 3,990 per person
incl. travel packages to / from departure / arrival point from € 4,950 per person
| Mon, 24.10.2016 |
Scheduled flight Germany – Lisbon
| Tue, 25.10.2016 |
Relaxation at sea
| Wed, 26.10.2016 |
Funchal/Madeira, arrival 12.00 hrs
Colourful flora in the Atlantic
It is hard to believe there are so many surprising contrasts on Madeira, Portugal’s “island of eternal spring”. Setting out from Funchal, a jeep tour of Madeira* will lead you to fishing villages and up to the 1,500 m high Paul da Serra plateau. Alternatively, a levada hike* will take you along the island’s famous irrigation system through a stunning landscape. Taking a tukxi through Funchal* – an electric vehicle with open sides – will present life in the tiny alleys from a different perspective. It is also thrilling to explore the island capital at your own pace – for example, in the evening after dining in the on-board restaurant. Stroll along the promenade and mix with the islanders in the cafes. There is plenty of room here – and on the Canary Islands – for individual discoveries.
| Thu, 27.10.2016 |
Funchal, departure 13.00 hrs
| Fri, 28.10.2016 |
Santa Cruz de la Palma/La Palma/Spain, 9.00 – 0.00 hrs
Unknown terrain on a famous archipelago
With their mild climate and wonderful natural surroundings, the Canary Islands are a popular destination, particularly in autumn. But few visitors know the beauty of the three islands on the BREMEN’s route. Look forward to their diversity: La Palma, the heavily forested “isla verde”; La Gomera, with its World Natural Heritage Site and unique whistling language; El Hierro, the rugged, tranquil UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. The natural spectacles continue when the imposing volcanic landscape welcomes you to La Palma. With its 16th- and 17th-century buildings, the coastal city of Santa Cruz is of great cultural and historic value. Take the opportunity here to explore the old town at your own pace and stroll along the Avenida Maritima with its typical wooden balconies. Nature lovers can take a ride to the Caldera de Taburiente national park* along breathtaking escarpments to one of the world’s largest erosion craters. The north of La Palma* is remote and pristine. Small villages invite you to get to know the country and people.
| Sat, 29.10.2016 |
San Sebastian/La Gomera, 7.00 – 0.00 hrs
As an explorer, you will find yourself in famous company in San Sebastian on the island of La Gomera. This is where Columbus set out for America. Your route, however, will take you to Garajonay National Park*, past banana plantations to evergreen laurels and dense ferns. The cloud forest of the UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site will let your fantasy take flight: this is also the starting point for a hike through the El Cedro rainforest*, one of the oldest in the world.
| Sun, 30.10.2016 |
Puerto de la Estaca/El Hierro, 7.00 – 18.00 hrs
The grand forces of nature have even shaped El Hierro, the smallest of the Canary Islands. Away from the tourist routes, the BREMEN will help you to discover an unspoilt landscape with steep rocky coasts and expansive pine forests. A hike to the Arbol del Garoe*, the sacred tree, follows in the footsteps of the native inhabitants. According to legend, the moisture of the clouds was caught in its crown and supplied the people with water – a tale depicted in the island’s coat of arms. A symbol of the unending sky and sea, the blue flag of Cape Verde waves to you in greeting.
| Mon, 31.10.2016 |
- Tue, 01.11.2016
Relaxation at sea
| Wed, 02.11.2016 |
- Fri, 04.11.2016
Africa’s picturesque outpost
A sea full of contrasts awaits you on Cape Verde. Gentle bays, fine beaches, desert landscapes, magnificent mountains and lush forests bid you welcome. Around 350 days of sun per year will shed a special light on features such as the colonial treasures and African joie de vivre on these islands rarely explored by tourists. The cultural capital is Mindelo on Sao Vicente. Along the seafront promenade, at the African market and in the old town, a walking tour of Mindelo* will introduce this melting pot of cultures. Mindelo and Baia das Gatas* provide a fascinating contrast: pure nature, created by elemental forces and demonstrated by the bizarre lava formations in the “bay of cats”. Alternatively, you can travel away from paved roads and go off-road* to delve deep inland for spectacular views of mountain massifs and volcanic craters. The untamed natural elements have also given Santo Antao an unmistakeable look. The island of mountains, wind and water is a true hiker’s paradise. Travelling on foot through the fertile Paul Valley will bring you particularly close to nature on the pristine island of Santo Antao*. Alternatively, be enveloped by the scent of eucalyptus on a scenic journey* on former trading routes – with insights into the production of the traditional grogue. The seldom-visited island of Sao Nicolao seems virtually untouched. Dragon trees, protected thanks to their valuable resin, line your route. On a hike through a bizarre mountain world*, you will find out how much effort is required to farm the very steep, fertile slopes. Alternatively, enjoy island impressions* that range from high ridges to fertile valleys and picturesquely situated villages. Unforgettable – the wonderful diversity of this cruise during golden October days.
| Sat, 05.11.2016 |
Palmeira/Sal/Cape Verde, arrival 6.00 hrs
| Sun, 06.11.2016 |
Scheduled flight Sal – Frankfurt
* The shore activities are not included in the cruise price and are in the planning stage. Subject to changes.
= at anchor
Please note that this cruise is conducted in German.
You will find more information, especially with regards to vaccination and visa requirements, in the General Information section.
The Cruise Price Includes
- Expedition in the booked category
- Full board on the ship (early bird breakfast, breakfast, late morning bouillon, lunch and dinner, afternoon coffee and tea with pastries, midnight snack)
- All landings or rides in the ship’s own Zodiacs or tenders (potential admission fees or guided tours by local tour guides not included)
- Experienced experts give lectures, provide in-depth answers to questions about the cruising area and accompany Zodiac landings
- Champagne awaits you in your cabin on your day of arrival
- Mini bar filled with soft drinks in the cabin (refilled daily)
- Flat screen, DVD player and Wi-Fi in every cabin. On the HANSEATIC, these also provide access to your private e-mail account as well as an integrated video-on-demand system
- Sending and receiving e-mails (without attachments) free of charge
- German ship, cruise and expedition management as well as a Germanand English-speaking service crew on board
- Comprehensive information about the cruise, service handbooks about the flora and fauna of the Amazon, the Arctic and Antarctica as well as expedition maps
- Information about the port or destination (when available) in the cabin in the form of pocket-size travel guides
- Depending on the destination, warm parkas and rubber boots as well as snorkelling equipment, Nordic Walking poles and bicycles are provided on loan on board both expedition ships (subject to availability)
- Free use of all on-board facilities (except services of the photo shop, hairdresser, massage, boutique, Internet)
- Harbour and airport fees
- Travel cancellation expenses insurance
- Bankruptcy insurance
Please note that our pre- and post-cruise programmes are conducted in German.
For individual programmes kindly consult your travel agent.
Following programmes we offer in German: